Let’s face it, growing up in a Greek household we put lemons on everything!! Lemon on seafood, meat, bread, drinks, and more. I couldn’t go without lemons, especially on my Greek salads. I found this article very interesting on the benefits of lemons. Check out this link below and read about the beneficial properties that lemons give us.
**Below you will find some wonderful recipes with our favorite ingredient: LEMON!
Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts (Gluten free) Recipe
Lemon Mousse Recipe
Lemon Basil Roasted Chicken Recipe
Recipes Brought To You By:
Happy weekend to you all! I came across a really cool website with some great facts on exotic fruits and vegetables. I thought this would be perfect for Saturday’s Food For Thought. I just got done making some fabulous pretzel bites, and I will be sharing the recipe sometime this coming up week. For now I will post a photo of the yummy bites, and just picture these with some warm nutella over them. :)
Happy Friday to you!! Today I will be doing a wine sampling over at the Save Mart in Auburn, CA. If you live near by and would like to come try the Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon wine please feel free to stop by from 4 to 7 pm. If any of my blogger friends live in the area, I would love to say hi to you. Come try one of the finest California wines we have to offer.
It’s all about the sesame seeds tonight. Happy Featured Recipe Thursday!
We are sharing a yummy treat all the way from Sparta, Greece. Thank you so very much to Yiannis G for sharing his family recipe of pasteli.
What is pasteli??
Pasteli is a Greek sesame seed candy generated from the Mediterranean and the middle eastern countries. Some of them come in a hard like candy shape, the others can be found chewy in Greece.
Featured Recipe Thursday: Pasteli
- In a spring form pan, lined with parchment paper. Oil the inside bottom of the pan. ( This will ensure that the pasteli will not stick to the pan.)
- In a heavy saucepan bring honey, sesame seeds, and salt to a boil.
- Stir until the mixture gets to 290 degrees or 143 Celsius.
- When mixture reaches the right temperature, pour the mixture into the pan.
- Remove the parchment paper carefully, and place on a cooling rack.
- This process will take about 35-40 minutes to cool.
- Once candy is cool, transfer to a cutting board, and cut candy into 1 inch pieces.
- Candy will keep up to 1 week if you lay wax paper between each piece and store in an airtight container.
Happy weekend!! I am happy to post the extreme health benefits of olive oil. In past posts, I have posted about olive oil, but I would like to add some other helpful information about this wonderful ingredient.
Saturday’s Food For Thought
Healthy Super Food: Olive Oil
A little History:
Olive trees first grew in the Mediterranean region years and years ago. They soon spread all through out different parts of the world.
Benefits Of Olive Oil:
Some studies have shown that olive oil can prevent various cancers like colon, prostate, and breast cancer. The high antioxidant content that is in olives can help prevent against certain cancers.
Diabetes causes severe highs and lows in the blood sugar levels, so people who are diabetic have to be very careful to maintain their blood sugar levels. Studies have shown that if people maintain a diet that is high in monounsaturated fats, which olive oil offers, will be effective to the body.
Same goes for someone who is trying to maintain their weight or lose weight. If you choose a diet that is high in monounsaturated fats such as olive oil, this will help you shed some pounds.
(The Mediterranean Diet)
*I attached a picture of a photo to follow for the Mediterranean diet.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out our Saturday Food For Thought!
Have a beautiful weekend.
I remember my yiayia use to make really good marmelatha portokali, which translates to orange marmalade. We use to eat this by the spoonful or have it on toast in the mornings. I would like to share with you a super tasty recipe from New Mexico. Thank you very much to Anita P. for this yummy recipe.
Greek Style Orange Marmalade
- 2 Naval oranges
- 3 Lemons
- 1 Cup sugar
- Rinse off the oranges and lemons, and then in a medium size pot filled with water, boil for about an hour.
- Drain the water out, and remove the pit from the fruit.
- Place the fruit in a blender, and blend just until the fruit is very small in pieces.
- In a baking pan, add the fruit and sugar together, mix to combine and place in a 300 degree or 150 Celsius oven.
- Cook for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let cool before you chill in refrigerator.
- Add In: Great to add in chopped walnuts or almonds.
Kali Orexi & Happy Featured Recipe Thursday!
I have been doing some test recipes in my kitchen and guess what, I came up with a fabulous pound cake recipe. I would love to share the recipe with you all. I must apologize for not posting lately, we recently added a new member to our family. :)
Meet Cosmo the most adorable golden retriever puppy ever. Ever since we got him, I keep thinking we should have named him Simba from Lion King lol.
Okay let’s get back to the recipe. :)
Simple and easy recipe to make. I highly recommend serving this pound cake with some raspberry or strawberry sauce.
Vanilla Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 7/8 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs separate yolk and whites
- 1 1/2 cups milk, lukewarm temp
- 1 teaspoon, baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder or flavoring, I use powder as it adds a stronger flavor
- Pinch of salt
- Options: You can add in 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon or orange zest.
- Mix the baking powder and flour together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer, mix the butter and powder sugar and blend until butter and sugar mix becomes fluffy and soft.
- Whisk in egg yolks into the butter mix.
- Slowly add in Luke warm milk.
- In another bowl whisk whites, and whisk until blended. Add to mixer and combine.
- Add in vanilla flavoring and combine.
- In a prepared baking pan, add batter and level out with a spatula.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees or 180 Celsius.
- Cake is done when you insert a toothpick in center and it comes out clean.
- Let cool and top with your favorite sauce or fruit.
- Try some hot Nutella fudge over the top. :)