For all you lemon lovers… -AVGOLEMENO SOUP-
By request- AVGOLEMONO SOUP- (Chicken soup.)
*Everyone makes their Avgolemeno different, but my yiayia taught me this way plus I add vegetables for flavor in mine.
- 1 whole chicken, remove the excess fat.
- 12 cups water
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta, or rice – (I like both but orzo is one of my fav.)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2tsp. fresh lemon zest
- Juice of two lemons, strained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1 pinch of oregano
- 1 pinch of dill
- Add first eight ingredients to a big pot. Bring the water to a boil and then lower heat to medium low and cover for about an hour or an hour half.
- Remove the chicken and the vegetables to a bowl and strain the broth out. Return the broth to the pot and boil.
- Add the rice or orzo to the pot and UN cover for about 10 minutes. Until the rice or orzo is soft. While the rice is cooking, start to prepare the sauce.
- Using a whisk beat the eggs until frothy. Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice. I like to go crazy with lemon so I tend to add a bit more. Continue to whisk.
- When the rice is ready, turn off the heat. Ladle about 2 cups of the broth into a small bowl. This is the tricky part so make sure you do this slowly. * Slowly add in the hot broth to your lemon- egg mixture while continuing to whisk. I like to do this pretty fast so the egg doesn’t curdle into the broth but if it is your first time, then please just do it slowly so that you take caution to not burn yourself.
- Stir the egg- lemon mixture into the pot. Heat over Very low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. I like to add a sprig of parsley or even a little bit of basil or dill on top.