Great job to everyone who submitted over their “Rock It Cooking Contest”, recipes. For those of you who do not know about this, we had this contest going for the past month, and you have to submit one crazy ingredient.
Friends Of The Earth Lavender sponsored this contest, and the 2 lucky winners will receive one essential oil and 1 lavender culinary tin.
Read below for the winners of this fun contest!
~Bacon Stout Chocolate Cheesecake~
For the Crust:
4 standard sized graham crackers
1 cup pretzel rods
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
6 Tbsp butter, melted
For the filling:
7 oz dark chocolate (60%)
1 cup stout (a chocolate stout or coffee stout is lovely)
3 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tbs espresso powder
1/2 cup cooked bacon, finely chopped
For the topping:
2/3 cup hot fudge sauce
1/2 cup cooked bacon, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Place one oven rack in the middle position, with one rack below.
Preheat oven to 350.
In a food processor add the graham crackers, sugar and the pretzels
and process until it’s the consistency of crumbs. Turn the food
processor on, and slowly stream in the butter and process until it
resembles wet sand.
Spray the inside of a 9-inch spring form pan with non-stick cooking
spray. Pour the processed crumbs into the spring form pan. Using the
bottom of a heavy, flat bottom glass, press the crust very well into
the bottom of the pan until well compacted.
In a pot over medium high heat, add the beer and the chocolate, stir
until melted and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the
cream cheese and the sugar and mix until smooth. One at a time, add
the eggs, scraping the bottom of the bowl between additions. Pour the
cooled chocolate into the mixer and beat until well combined. Lift the
head of the mixer and add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and
bacon over the batter, stir on low speed until just combined.
Pour the batter into the pan over the crust. Place the pan in the oven
in the middle position. Place a baking dish on the rack below the
cheesecake, fill with water.
Bake the cheesecake until the center no longer jiggles when you shake
the rack, about 45-50 minutes. This isn’t an situation where a tooth
pick inserted in the middle should come out clean, you just need the
center to set and it will continue to set as it cools. Remove from
For the topping, warm your hot fudge sauce so that it is pour able.
Pour onto the center of the cheesecake carefully, and allow to sit and
solidify for 15 minutes. Top the chocolate with the chopped bacon. In
a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the whipping cream
until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, and continue whipping on high
until stiff peaks form. Place in piping bag fitted with a decorative
tip (I used Wilton 2D) and pipe border of whipped cream around the
* Bacon Stout Chocolate Cheesecake By Laura Davis
~Lemony Lavender Blueberry Cupcakes~
- 1/2c butter or margarine
- 1c sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. of vanilla, separated
- 2 cup(s) of flour
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- zest of 1 lemon and 1/4 c lemon juice (reserve 1tsp zest for icing)
- 1 c of fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1tsp dried edible lavender buds
- 2 1/2 cup(s) of icing sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 12 paper liners in cupcake tin.
- In a large mixer bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and pale in color (about 3 minutes).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in 1tsp vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then add to the batter along with the lemon juice.
- Mix only until incorporated.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full, with batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes; until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, when inserted.
- Cool completely to room temperature; before frosting.
- In medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon lemon peel, the salt, 1tsp vanilla, lavender and 1 milk on high speed until smooth and well blended, adding more milk by teaspoonfuls if needed.
- Frost cupcakes with frosting.
- Garnish with additional blueberries .
* Lemony Lavender Blueberry Cupcakes By Marisa Raponi
Thank you to the both of you for these great and tasty recipes. If anyone would like to try these, feel free. Questions or comments?
I would like to thank Friends Of The Earth Lavender once again for sponsoring and see below some of their lovely gift they sponsored. Please visit their official website along with the blog and store.
* Stay tuned in today for Friday’s Menu!!!