Happy Friday. I wanted to dedicate this post to a special person who I met at our Toyota booth in Fresno. (I will keep his name anonymous.) This man I met was very happy, friendly, and outgoing. I have met him a few days ago when we were giving out tickets for different concerts every night at the fair. To make a long story short, I wasn’t in the best of moods as I found out that I had some bad news with my vehicle acting up and what not. All afternoon I was thinking about the issues with my car and what the cost will be. Well, after I met Mr. anonymous, he had told me a few things about him. He said to me, “I am not feeling very good these days. I have cancer.” I looked at him in shock and said,” Oh nooo, I am very sorry to hear this. I explained to him a few things that he can do to possibly help his immune system and all I was thinking was why I am upset with my car when this man’s life is in danger. After we spoke a little while, I thought to myself, if this man can keep smiling and enjoying life, why should I be upset with one minor issue? I am very thankful that I met him, and I really hope he will recover from his cancer. I am praying for him. My heart goes out to all of those who are suffering from cancer, or who have loosed a loved one from cancer. This post also goes out to my dad’s entire family who passed away due to cancer.
Okay now for some happy thoughts. Tonight’s Friday Menu is full of healthy and great tasting recipes. Check out this flavorful menu below.
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic & Wine Sauce (Appetizer)
- 12 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups asparagus sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt & ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees or 200 Celcius.
- Line a baking pan with foil and spray cooking spray onto the foil.
- Place each asparagus onto the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine, fresh thyme, and seasonings.
- Place the sauce over the asparagus and bake for about 25 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Remove from the oven and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the asparagus and serve.
Keftedes- (Greek Meatballs) Recipe- (Main)
- 4 slices of sour dough bread- crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion- minced
- 1 bunch of fresh mint- chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh basil- chopped
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp of extra virgin olive oil- and more for frying
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour for rolling the meatballs into
- In a food processor, add the onion, garlic, mint, basil, and seasonings. Add the onion mixture to a medium size bowl. Add in the bread crumbs, and eggs. Mix to combine and then add the olive oil.
- Prepare a saucepan, with olive oil over medium heat. Roll the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place the balls into a plate with flour. Coat each meatball with flour and then dust it off slightly. Repeat the process until all the meat mixture is gone.
- When the saucepan is hot, add about 4-5 meatballs at a time to the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel when the meatballs are done.
Greek Pumpkin Pie Recipe (Dessert)
- 1 package phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large can pumpkin pie filling
- 1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon mixed and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or 180 Celsius.
- In a baking dish, prepare the phyllo dough. Spread out one sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pumpkin pie filling, honey, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, raisins, and vanilla.
- Heat the sauce over medium heat and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Brush the layer of phyllo dough with canola oil and then pumpkin sauce. Sprinkle the layers with pecans. Repeat this process until you went through all the phyllo.
- When the top layer is finished, brush with canola oil and then cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees or 180 Celcius.
- Once cooled, cut into squares.
- Asparagus Bruschetta (dadvsdinner.com)
- Spring cooking: Asparagus (wrenkitchens.com)
- Kalekopita – The Exceptional EA in the Kitchen (exceptionalea.com)