Kourambiedes Recipe- Greek Christmas Cookies
Looking for a great holiday cookie recipe to make? This is the perfect one!!
Kourambiedes (Greek Christmas Cookies)
Don’t let the long name full you. These cookies are light and melt in your mouth kind of cookie. Full of powdery sugar and goodness. Check out the wonderful recipe below.
- 10 ounces of blanched almonds
- 1 pound of sweet unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups of sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 shot glass of brandy
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla flavoring
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups of sifted all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Lightly toast the almonds in the oven.
- Add almonds to a Cuisinart and pulse the almonds until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar for 15 minutes until light and creamy.
- Add egg yolks, sea salt, and baking powder to the mixer.
- Beat for 1 minute or until combined.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of sifted flour to the butter mixture and knead.
- Add in the remaining flour and the nuts.
- Knead the dough for about 8 minutes.
- Break off a piece of dough, the size of a walnut, and shape into a ball or oval.
- Repeat with remaining dough and place onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are pale and yellowish golden in color.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and cool on to a wire rack.
- Sift the confectioner’s sugar over the kourambiedes until they are completely doused in sugar.
- I usually store my cookies in a tin. You can freeze cookies and they last up to a few months.