Looking for a great holiday cookie recipe to make? This is the perfect one!!
Kourambiethes (Greek Christmas Cookies)
Don’t let the long name full you. These cookies are light and melt in your mouth kind of cookie. Full of powdery sugar and goodness. Check out the wonderful recipe below.
- 10 ounces of blanched almonds
- 1 pound of sweet unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups of sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 shot glass of scotch
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla flavoring
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups of sifted all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Lightly toast the almonds in the oven.
- Chop the almonds and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter, egg yolks, 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar, and baking powder.
- Beat until creamy and smooth. (About 6 minutes)
- Add 1 3/4 cups of sifted flour to the butter mixture and knead.
- Add in the remaining flour.
- Knead the dough for about 8 minutes.
- Break off a piece of dough, the size of a walnut, and shape into a ball or oval.
- Repeat with remaining dough and place onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are pale and yellowish golden in color.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and cool on to a wire rack.
- Sift the confectioners sugar over the kourambiethes until they are completely doused in sugar.
- I usually store my cookies in a tin.
*Snack on these cookies while you are with family around the fire place.