Loukoumades: Greek Fried Doughnuts
Can I say that Loukoumades, which might not sound like a dessert but more like some kind of medical term, is such an amazing dessert. You can make them sweet, or even savoury. How do you pronounce loukoumades you say???
Loukoumades have been around for some time, typically served at many Greek bakeries. They are basically a fried Greek doughnut covered in honey, walnuts, and cinnamon. Try serving these with vanilla ice cream to make your taste buds jump. 🙂
Kouzounas Kitchen Loukoumades Recipe
- 4 Cups ap flour
- 2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2 Cups lukewarm milk- water (mixed)
- 1 Cup honey
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cinnamon for dusting
- 1 Cup chopped walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast with 1 cup warm milk- water mixture.
- Cover bowl with a towel, and let sit for 10 minutes, until the yeast bubbles on the top.
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt, and vanilla together.
- Add the flour to the yeast in three stages, and add the remaining liquid to the mixture until you get a sticky dough to form.
- Cover the bowl and let rise until doubled.
- When the dough has double, heat the oil in a fryer.
- This is the tricky part of the recipe. Make sure you have a glass of water, and a spoon handy.
- Dip your spoon into the water, then drop spoon in dough and gather a ball on the spoon, drop the dough into the fryer one at a time. Make sure you always dip your spoon into the water so you prevent the dough from sticking to your spoon.
- I like to dip my fingers into the water as well, so I don’t have sticky fingers.
- I fry about 5 large loukoumades at a time, as my fryer isn’t very big. Once each side puffs up, and turns a golden brown they are ready. Drain the oil from the loukoumades, and set on a lined baking sheet. ( I line my baking sheet with paper towels so the oil can drain.) Place doughnuts on a large platter, and once all of the dough is gone, time to drizzle them with sweetness.
- Drizzle honey over the top of the doughnuts and add walnuts over the top. I add a dust of cinnamon powder over the top to serve.