Happy weekend from Kouzounas Kitchen!!
I received some lovely feedback on my last post on Vegetarian Keftedes. Some of my favorite food bloggers had the chance to try my recipe, and if you missed it, please click on the link here. >> Vegetarian Keftedes.
Shout out to Effie from Cheffies Kitchen for trying out my recipe!! Check out her blog here. >> Cheffies Kitchen Blog<<
I named this recipe after one of my favorite Greek islands because my favorite keftedes come from Santorini. I remember the delicious food that we had at a small taverna in Megalahori. I tried to re create the wonderful Santorini mezes that we had back in 2004. I hope you enjoy the latest Santorini Vegetarian Keftedes recipe.
Santorini Vegetarian Keftedes
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- 1 tsp dried Greek oregano
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, or oat flour
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Combine the first seven ingredients together in a bowl and mix. Add the flax seed and flour to the bowl, and mix to combine.
- Combine the seasonings and lemon zest together, and add to the vegetable mixture. Drizzle in the olive oil, and mix.
- Knead the dough by hand, just until the dough comes together. (Dough may be sticky, so if you need to add more flour please do so.)
- Prepare the frying pan, by filling up the pan with oil over medium heat.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls, and dust lightly with flour before frying. Make sure you fry on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh lemon juice over the top, and dried oregano.