Bougatsa: Greek Sweet Custard Phyllo Pie
- 1 box of phyllo
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla flavoring
- 4 egg yolks
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2/3 cups unsalted butter, melted
*Reserve Cinnamon, and powdered sugar
- Pour milk into saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk to form a paste.
- Slowly add hot milk to the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth. Return custard to saucepan.
- Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, over low heat for 5 minutes or until back of spoon is coated.
- Remove from heat, and pour custard in a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill for two hours.
- Layer the phyllo dough in a large baking dish. Brush the butter in the casserole dish, and start layering the phyllo dough. Brush each sheet with butter.
- Pour the custard over the phyllo dough and wrap the remaining phyllo over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown on top. Remove from heat and let cool. Dust with sugar and cinnamon.
Enjoy from Kouzounas Kitchen. 💙