Fakes~ Greek Lentil Soup
Hello beautiful friends! Who is ready for Greek Easter? I can’t wait especially since my birthday happens to be the day before Easter. 🙂
Want to learn more about Greek Easter, and our festivities? Please click on the link below from Windy City Greek, and check out 64 pages of lent and Easter related content. (Our two recipes are featured here.)
PASXA 2017: Windy City Greek Blog
Speaking of lent recipes, I have been enjoying fakes the past few weeks, and I seem to be getting better and better every time with the end result. So, here is my latest fakes recipe, I hope you enjoy.
Fakes~ Greek Lentil Soup
- 1/2 pound of small lentils, rinsed
- 1 pound of ripe tomatoes, puréed
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup Moscato wine
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lemon, reserve juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Soak the lentils for about 2 hours. Rinse lentils a few times, then drain water.
- In a heavy pot, add the water, wine, tomato puree, bay leaves, onion, cumin seeds, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, and add in the lentils and olive oil.
- Reduce the heat and cover for 1 hour and half or until lentils are done.
- Remove from heat, and remove bay leaves.
- Stir in seasonings. (Salt, pepper, and oregano.)
- Stir in vinegar, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Serve with crumbled feta cheese over the top.
Thank you you have some delicious recipes.
Thank you very much, Christine. Happy weekend to you. 🙂
How fun! You will celebrate your birthday and Greek Easter on the same weekend!! This soup looks hearty and super yummy. Great job koukla mou <3
Hi Gina mou,
Yes, it will be a fun filled weekend. 🙂 I wish I was turning 21 though ha.
Thanks for enjoying the fakes. I switched it up a bit this time, including moscato wine which I know you appreciate.
Tell me about being 21 all over again….I noticed that with the moscato wine! Cool. It’s nice to change things up! XO
I’ve made Fakes for years and never thought of adding wine to the soup. I bet it just adds to the rich flavor. Wonderful recipe!
How are you? Thank you for the lovely comment. 🙂 Yes, actually first time I am adding white wine, and I usually finish is off with a balsamic.
I hope you get a chance to try this out. Have a beautiful Friday. 🙂 xoxo
I actually tried it a few days ago. The wine was a wonderful addition in your recipe. I’ll have to try the balsamic too. Thank you for all the tips. Have a wonderful weekend!
Wow thank you! Super happy you had the chance to try it out. I am happy to help you out with the fakes recipe.
Anytime koukla, and happy week to you. xo
Looks flavorful 😊
Thank you my sweet friend!! xo