Dying Easter Eggs The Natural Way
Happy happy Thursday. We are just days away from one of my favorite celebrations. Well first, it’s my birthday on Saturday. I’m turning 21… hahaha joking! 🙈🙈 I won’t even say my actual age.
Greek Easter countdown!! Speaking of Greek Easter, how about your eggs?? Did you dye your eggs?
I love the way our Easter eggs turned out this year! Better yet, it’s an all natural way to dye your eggs. Check out my recipe below.
~Have you used a similar method? If so, would love to hear your thoughts and comments.
All Natural Easter Egg Red Dye Recipe
- 12 eggs
- Red & yellow onion peel (12 onions)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 cups water
- Olive oil for finishing
- Stainless Steel Pot
- In a stainless steel pot add the onion peel, water, and vinegar. Boil for about 20 minutes until onions become soft. (You want your water to be a deep orange to red color.)
- Strain the onion peels and reserve the water. Place water back into pot, and carefully place your eggs in the pot.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes. Test one egg to make sure the color is what you like. If you feel that the egg isn’t the right color, leave the eggs in the red dye overnight. (You want to keep and eye on the eggs to achieve the right color.)
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon. Dry off and finish with light olive oil.
Make sure to boil your onion peel until you achieve a nice orange -red color.
Let your eggs set overnight in the red dye.
Use the same red dye for another batch of eggs. (See photo below.)
Happy Easter from Kouzounas Kitchen!
Check us out on Twitter~ Facebook~ & Instagram. ❤❤
Just love this! Kali Anastasi!
Thank you sweetheart! Christos Anesti xoxo
Wow these are just gorgeous Krystina! I used onion peels once, but not that many peels and they came out a pastel color. I really like this vibrant color!
Hi sweets! Sorry I have been mia on WP. I finally got my butt in gear and I even scheduled a new recipe. I hope you will enjoy it. 🙂
What onion peels did you use? Yellow/ red? Ohhh pastel sounds amazing too.
Happy belated Easter 💗💗
I used a combination of yellow and red, but I didn’t have as many as you did which is why I think they came out pastel. Thank you Krystina!
Ohhh, I wonder why the color didn’t turn out? :/ How long did they stay in the dye for?
Of course, I am happy you tried it.
Happy 34th Birthday-yes, I know you are now my age again! LOL we are only 3 months apart-I love that.
Hey thank you!! Thanks for remembering my birthday. Happy Happy Easter Cheryl to you and your family. I hope you guys had a great one filled with yummy Greek food. 💗💗 Happy belated Bd to you chicka! Xoxo Yay for 3 months apart 1983 babies ha
Yay! Hope it was a great Birthday and Easter for you!
Thank you so much!!! You too 🙂