Simple Spinach Horta
Happy Monday foodies!! What’s on your dinner table this evening?
I’m happy to share this super easy and healthy side dish on the blog.
What is horta you might ask? Horta in Greek means weeds. (Wild mountain greens.) Some of these weeds include; spinach, dandelion root, fennel leaves, and much more. I grew up with horta, and we usually pair it with fish.
I know horta might sound pretty bland, but trust me it’s delicious once you dress it up with lemon juice and olive oil. 🙂
I usually use “swiss chard” in place of spinach but we don’t have it in our kitchen, so spinach it is.
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach leaves/ or Swiss chard
- 2 lemons, reserve juice
- 3 tablespoons Greek olive oil
- That’s Amore Pizza Seasoning or Italian herb mix BUY HERE
- Steam the spinach or chard until wilted.
- Drain the spinach into a large bowl. Place spinach in an ice water bath.
- Drain spinach, making sure to get all the excess water out.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, spices, and spinach together in a medium bowl. Chill for 2 hours, or until ready to use. Season with salt and pepper.