Simply The Best Melomakarona
Tis the season for delicious melomakarona.
It’s not a Greek Christmas in our house until you smell the amazing aroma of melomakarona cookies baking in the oven.
Since these are one of my all-time favorite holiday cookies, I made a video for y’all. My boyfriend happened to snap some fun short videos of me making the cookies, and this is what I created. ❤️❤️
I hope you enjoy it!! ✨✨✨✨
Melomakarona Recipe: Greek Honey Cookies
Serves: Between 45-60 depending on size
- 1 1/2 cups of Greek olive oil
- 1/2 cup of butter (Room temperature)
- 1 cup of beer
- 1 cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice
- Orange zest (2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 4 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of semolina flour (fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Place the oil, butter, beer, orange juice, cinnamon, orange zest, vanilla, and sugar into a xing bowl. Mix until blended.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts. Making sure to mix thoroughly so all ingredients combine. (Your dough should come together at this point.)
- Place dough on a rk surface and lightly knead just until the dough is smooth. (I like to call this part “the manicure” as the oil really helps heal your nails ha.)
- Roll each dough ball into hand shaping into an oval like shape. Check out my video for details.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the for about 25-30 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- While cookies are baking make the honey syrup.
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of Greek honey
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts, reserve for serving
- Powdered cinnamon
- In a large pot over medium heat place all ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove syrup from heat, and pour hot syrup over the cookies. (Make sure you pour syrup over cookies once they come out of the .)
- Sprinkle walnuts and cinnamon over the top of the cookies.
- These cookies will keep up to 1 month. You can store it an air-tight container.