Delicious Greek Easter Cookies
Koulourakia~ Greek Easter Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups butter
- 6 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 6 tsp (30 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml), baking soda
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 orange or mandarin
- 3 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of lemon zest/ orange/ mandarin zest
- Beat butter and sugar adding eggs one at a time.
- Beat until smooth and sugar has dissolved.
- Mix baking powder and baking soda with 2 cups of flour and blend.
- Add remaining ingredients – not all of the flour at once though, and then make sure your dough is soft, elastic and not sticking to your fingers.
- place the dough in a bowl covered for about 30 minutes.
- Take small pieces of dough (size of a nut) to form S-shaped or O-shaped koulourakia.
- Line pan with baking sheet and preheat your oven to 350 degrees for at 175 c.
- Beat 1 egg yolk with 1 tsp water and brush over cookies.
- Bake at moderate heat until golden brown.