Chicken Gyro Marinade
This simple yet tasty marinade is so easy to make and perfect anytime you want to make your own chicken gyros! Just whip these up a few days ahead of time that way all the flavors melt together. Check out our delicious pita bread recipe.
Chicken Gyro Marinade Recipe
- 2 cups of Fage Greek yogurt (plain)
- 2 lemons, reserve juice
- 1/4 cup of Greek olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh dill chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano chopped
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper to season (I like to use pink Himalayan salt and black peppercorn.)
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts, remove any excess fat
- Optional: Pinch of cinnamon powder
- In a large bowl combine all the marinade ingredients except the chicken.
- On a large cutting board place 2 chicken breasts on the board and cover with plastic wrap. Pound the chicken using a mallet, or even a rolling pin. Pound to tenderize and repeat with all chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large zip lock bag and then add the marinade inside the bag. Coat the chicken well and then refrigerate for two days. After chicken has chilled cut the chicken lengthwise in strips.
- BBQ: Place a grilling mat over the BBQ on medium-high heat. Then add the chicken in a thin layer with the sauce. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes making sure to flip the chicken to get it crispy and golden brown. I like to squeeze lemon juice over the top while it’s grilling.
- BAKE: If you bake the chicken then add the chicken to a large baking sheet lined with foil and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from oven and let it cool down.
- Serve warm with a side of tzatziki sauce or serve inside pita bread.