I have a special treat for you guys. Are you ready for this?
Sweet custard, with a delicious flaky crust, made up of phyllo dough. One of my ALL time favorite Greek desserts!!!
Let’s get our bougatsa on, shall we?!
Bougatsa: Greek Sweet Custard Phyllo Pie
- 1 box of phyllo
- 4 cups of whole milk (I use clover milk)
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup of semolina (purchase here)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla flavoring
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2/3 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
*Reserve Cinnamon, and powdered sugar.
- Pour milk into a saucepan and add the lemon zest. Stir in semolina with a wooden spoon and make sure its mixed in and blended. (You don’t want any clumps.) Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Combine sugar, salt, vanilla, and eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the warm semolina mixture to the egg mixture and making sure to whisk fast so you don’t break the eggs.
- Let mixture cool down and prepare your phyllo dough.
- Layer the phyllo dough in a large baking dish. Brush the butter in the casserole dish, and start layering the phyllo dough. Brush each sheet with butter.
- Pour the custard over the phyllo dough and wrap the remaining phyllo over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown on top. Remove from heat and let cool. Dust with sugar and cinnamon powder. (You can try drizzling hot nutella over the top too.)
Enjoy from Kouzounas Kitchen. 💙