Koulourakia~ Greek Easter Cookies
The best Greek buttery cookies that are scented with orange zest and ouzo. Give this simple recipe a try for Greek Easter and your family will enjoy I am sure.
Get your Easter cookies ready for Greek Easter which is coming April 19th this year!
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup of granulated organic sugar or demerara sugar
- 2 orange or lemons ( reserve the zest)
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of all purpose flour plus more for dusting a work surface
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Ouzo to spray cookies (optional)
- Egg wash ( 1 egg and water)
- In a mixer bowl add the sugar and orange zest. With your fingertips rub the sugar together so the zest is infused.
- Add the butter to the mixer while on medium speed and mix until the butter is light and creamy. About 5-6 minutes. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl so the butter is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the eggs one at a time on medium-low speed and mix until mixture is creamy.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and almond extract if using that and mix on medium-low.
- On parchment paper sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine then add the flour in 3 different increments. Making sure to fully incorporate the flour into the wet mixture. Just mix to combine and make sure not to overmix. Your dough should be soft and pliable.
- Remove dough from mixer and let rest in the bowl for 20 minutes covered.
- Take small pieces of dough (size of a nut) to form S-shaped or O-shaped koulourakia.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat 1 egg yolk with 1 tsp water and brush over cookies. Place cookies on middle rack of oven.
- Bake between 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown in color. While baking you can spray cookie tray with ouzo for a nice licorice aroma.
- If you want your cookies to be on the crunchier side move tray to top rack and bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown in color. Remove from heat and cool on a wired rack.
**Store cookies in an airtight container. You can freeze these for up to a few months. These cookies are the perfect match with coffee.