Casarecce Pasta with Sausage and Creamy Tomato Sauce
Hello, my friends! I must apologize to you all for being off of Kouzounas Kitchen blog for quite a while. Unfortunately, I have sad news and it is really hard for me to say this but on June 7th my grandmother Betty Jane Gothmann (aka B.J.) passed away in Sacramento. It happened really sudden and we are all shocked. I am trying my best to stay strong for my family especially my mom.
I am dedicating this new pasta recipe to my grandmother especially since she loved to cook and I know she would absolutely enjoy this dish.
Casarecce Pasta with Sausage & Creamy Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chicken broth paste
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of white onion
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 sausages ( I used the Aidells pineapple sausage) cut in slices
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 bag of Casarecce pasta
- Salt and pepper to serve
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 1 bunch of sweet basil sprigs to serve
- Pecorino Romano cheese to serve
- In a large pan melt the olive oil, chicken broth paste, onion, leeks, and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent then add the water and tomato paste. You want to cook over medium heat to thicken the sauce.
- Add the red wine, salt, pepper, chili flakes to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the sausage slices, and cook for additional 5 minutes on low.
- Then remove from heat and add the cream. Let the sauce thicken at room temperature.
- In another large pot heat the water for the pasta and prepare according to the package instructions. I always make sure to salt the water and add a bit of olive oil too. Cook pasta until it is ” al dente” and then remove from pan and drain liquid. Toss pasta in the sauce and then serve.
- Serve with fresh cheese and basil sprigs.