November Superfood Week day 5 continued.
I think one of the best superfoods is beets! You can reap many benefits from eating beets. Some of the benefits are:
- Regulate blood pressure- Beets are rich in nitrates, helping to lower blood pressure.
- Power your brain- One cup of beet juice can help aid power to your brain.
- Fight inflammation-Beets contain amino acid betaine, and can help reduce chronic inflammation.
- High in fiber- One cup of beets contains about 3.5 grams of fiber. Many other great benefits to beets. You can find more information here.
Roasted beet dish is mainly served with fish, but even by itself is so good. My father told me that he would drink the beet juice with my papou in Greece. It was one of their favorite “juices” to enjoy!
Roasted Beets with Oil- Lemon Sauce Recipe (Παντζάρια με Λαδολέμονο)
One of the best vegetarian Greek side dishes to enjoy especially during the hot summer months. You can pair this with any fish recipe and have the perfect healthy meal.
- 6 beets, cleaned and trimmed (reserve the greens)
- 3 teaspoons of water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper o taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- Oregano (optional)
- Prepare the beets by cleaning and cutting them into wedges.
- Place them in a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Add water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Use another sheet of foil over the beets to help seal in the juices.
- Roast at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes or until they are tender. Remove from heat and place under cold water to remove their skins. Cut into cubes and place them in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, and dill. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and oregano.
You can cook the greens in salted water until wilted. They are really good with the beets!