Happy hump day people! It is Wednesday for us here in California and it is quite cold. The weather has become cold but luckily we still have our sunny days. Lately, I have been in the mood for something cinnamon-y and gooey. Hmm, the first thing two things that come to mind is cinnamon rolls or monkey bread? I love both and I decided to intertwine the two recipes to make this very recipe. This is so good especially during the cold winter months, and make sure to get the kiddos involved! The vanilla Fage icing is the special added touch to these yummy rolls.
Cinnamon Roll Bread Recipe with Vanilla Fage Icing
This recipe came together with the “monkey bread” pull-apart dough and the cinnamon roll technique.
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons of fine grind salt
- 1/3 water
- 1/3 whole milk
- 1/2 cup of butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- Parchment paper
- Loaf pan
Cinnamon sugar mixture
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
Vanilla Fage Icing
- 1 cup Fage Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
- In a bowl whisk together 1 cup of flour, yeast, 1/2 cup of sugar in a mixer bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat whisk the water, milk, and butter. Cook for a few minutes until combined. Remove from heat and make sure to cool to room temperature before adding to the mixer. If you pour the hot mixture over the yeast you will kill it and the dough won’t rise.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, while the mixer is running on low with dough hook pour the mixture slowly. Then add the eggs one at a time along with the salt and vanilla. Then add the rest of the flour mixture in 3 increments. Beat for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes a shaggy dough. Place the dough inside a large greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. I love to do a 1-day rise in the refrigerator, so this is what I suggest for the ultimate fluffy cinnamon roll bread.
- The next day prepare the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- In a small bowl whisk together everything except the butter. Set aside.
- On a large surface dusted with light flour roll out the dough. You want a big surface to work on so make sure you have enough space. Roll out the dough to about 22x 9-inch rectangle. You can go longer if you like.
- Spread the room temperature butter evenly on the rectangular dough, but make sure to leave a plain 1-inch border around. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top.
- Now prepare to tightly roll your rectangle from the bottom up making sure to seal the corners. Once you have a roll ready, prepare to cut 20- 22 1 inch slices. You may be able to get 1 1/2 inches out of each roll if you want a thick roll.
- Prepare the loaf pan with a sheet of parchment paper covering the inside. Grease the parchment lightly.
- Place rolls inside the pan making 2 rows one on top of another. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 1 hour.
Make the icing
- In a medium bowl whisk together the yogurt, vanilla, and half a cup of confectioners sugar. Chill for 30 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for approximately 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool slightly on wire rack. Serve immediately with vanilla Fage icing.
- Optional- You can serve with toasted pecans or any nuts of your choice.