Mini Pesto Heirloom Bruschetta & Zesty Pesto
Cheers to tomato & basil season! My most loved ingredients of all time are blooming like crazy here in California.
We were visiting my sister’s house last weekend and she has a huge abundance of basil growing all over. From Thai basil, to American basil, to lemon basil and more. I think she is set to open her own basil company.
Let’s talk pesto for a moment. Many years ago I created a walnut pesto because I didn’t have any pine nuts in my kitchen. So this was actually a superhit in my house and my customers loved it too. I know the traditional pesto calls for pine nuts, but you can really create your own pesto using a nuts. Today I am using pine nuts, so I do hope you enjoy this recipe.
Mini Pesto Heirloom Bruschetta Recipe
- 6 Sourdough bread slices
- 1/2 cup of pesto
- 6 slices of heirloom tomatoes
- 6 balls of mozzarella cheese
- 6 sprigs of fresh basil
- Salt & Pepper to serve
- Balsamic & Olive Oil to serve
- Prepare the sourdough slices and toast them until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and cool on large plate. Place a heaping tablespoon of pesto on the bread then top with tomato slice, and cheese. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic and olive oil. This is the prefect meze to serve for any occasion.
Zesty Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon (reserve the zest and lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- In a food processor add the basil leaves, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, and zest. Once the mixture is combined add the olive oil while the food processor is running. Then season with salt and pepper. You can store this in the refrigerator covered in container for up to 4 days.
All photo rights reserved to Kouzounas Kitchen 2021.