One of my favorite fall treats is a soft pretzel. This is so easy to make and you can get the little ones involved too! I hope you enjoy my recipe and don’t forget to tag #cookingwithkouzounaskitchen when sharing photos on social media!
Soft Pretzels Recipe
- 4 cups of all purpose flour + more for kneading the dough
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of dry yeast
- 1 and 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar + 2 teaspoons of molasses
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- Coarse salt to serve over the pretzels
- Malt mixture – 1/2 cup of baking soda, 8 cups of water, and 2 teaspoons of molasses.
- In a large bowl whisk the yeast and warm water together. Once the mixture is bubbly add the sugar molasses, and butter. Whisk to combine.
- I like to mix the flour inside a mixer but here I did it by hand.
- Add the flour slowly to the wet yeast mixture in 3 increments. Mix until you see a dough form. Knead on a lightly floured surface.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, and set aside covered. You want the dough to rise. Remove dough from bowl, and cut into 11- 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then form 20 inch rope. Bring both the ends of the ropes together and twist. Bring the twisted ends back down towards you, and press the ends under the pretzel.
- Make the brine over high heat. Once the brine begins to boil add pretzels.
- I do 2 at a time and I cook pretzels for only 20 seconds each side. Any longer and it will taste like baking soda and you don’t want that!!
- Remove with slotted spoon, sprinkle course salt and bake pretzels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F middle rack for about 18 – 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Serve plain, cheese sauce, or even honey.