The New Year is around the corner and we are trying to stay warm during this CRAZY snow storm! I know many people think “California” is hot and always hot, but this isn’t the case for us folks in Pollock Pines. We are at almost 4,000 feet elevation so we have snow already! After shoveling snow for two days, it’s time to sip on one of my parent’s favorite hot drinks. Introducing the “Grecian Hot Toddy” today.
What’s inside this hot spirit?
- Cinnamon sticks
- Metaxa (Greek spirit)
- Vanilla powder (Saffron Direct)
- Lemon juice & lemon slices
- Hot water
- Mulling spice
- Greek honey (clove honey)
It’s such a simple hot drink and rather easy to make in minutes. If you are in need to warm up your bones, this drink is for you. Let’s get to the recipe.
The Grecian Hot Toddy Recipe
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 ounces of Metaxa (Greek spirit) or brandy or whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder (Saffron Direct)
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (reserve 1 lemon slice)
- 1 cup of hot water (I did 3/4 and I would have preferred 1 cup) Adjust to your taste and how strong you want it.
- 2 tablespoons of mulling spice
- 3 teaspoons of Greek honey (clove honey)
1. Boil the water. In a tall glass add the mulling spice, 1 cinnamon stick, lemon juice, and vanilla powder.
2. Pour the hot water over the top and let simmer for a few minutes.
3. Strain the spices from the liquid.
4. Add the metaxa and honey and stir to combine. Serve with cinnamon stick and lemon slice.
Στην υγειά σας!!