Deconstructed Orange Mousse Cheesecake
I get many questions for simple dessert recipe ideas; especially ones that are easy to make and beautiful.
Deconstructed orange mousse cheesecake came to mind because I love portokalopita. Our tasty orange phyllo dough dessert. A rich dessert that is so good on its own, or served with ice cream or even yogurt.
About this orange mousse cheesecake dessert.
This dessert has three elements.
The cream cheese mousse filling, crunchy phyllo dough on the bottom, and top. Served with an orange simple syrup. I would suggest to pre-make the syrup and mousse at least two days ahead of time so you can entertain your guests with this tasty and classy dessert.
Deconstructed Orange Mousse Cheesecake Recipe
- Orange mousse cheesecake filling
- Phyllo dough – already cooked
- Orange simple syrup
- 5-6 dessert glasses (example)
- Prepare 5-6 dessert glasses. I love dessert glasses because presentation-wise it looks lovely, and they are the perfect little size.
- Place a good layer of already cooked phyllo dough (cut in pieces) on the bottom of the dessert glasses. Add a good two tablespoons of mousse filling. Then repeat phyllo and mousse so you have two layers.
- Serve with a drizzle of the orange sauce, and an orange slice.
Orange Mousse Cheesecake Filling
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 naval oranges, reserve juice, and 2 teaspoons of orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
- 1.5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
Beat the cream cheese, and heavy cream together until creamy and light. Add the orange juice, powdered sugar, zest, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Chill mousse in the refrigerator.
- 2-3 sheets of phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a large surface, and brush with melted butter. Brush another sheet, and then place both sheets on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the sheets are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Then break the sheets up into small pieces. Set aside.
Orange Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup of fresh orange juice (I love blood or navel oranges)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a boil, making sure to stir the mixture frequently.
- Once the syrup coats the back of a spoon it is ready to go. Remove from heat and let cool.