Kolokithokeftedes (Zucchini Fritters) Recipe
Kalo Mina! Here’s to you June. I hope this month brings you happiness and good health.
One of my all-time favorites is kolokithokeftedes. If you love zucchini, you should definitely try this recipe!
What makes my recipe different from the rest is that I use panko bread crumbs and roll the balls in the crumbs for a nice texture. Very similar to the arancini style. I do hope you enjoy one of my most loved Greek mezes!
Kolokithokeftedes “Zucchini Fritters” Recipe
- 3 cups of grated zucchini
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons of fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Olive oil for frying
- Panko crumbs to roll fritters
- In a medium bowl grate the zucchini.
- Add the leek, egg, garlic, feta, dill, and mint and combine. Then mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper together.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet and mix to combine.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes, then remove it from the refrigerator. Add the panko crumbs to a large plate, and then roll a heaping tablespoon of mixture into the panko. You want to make ball shapes.
- Place balls onto a plate lined with parchment paper. Prepare a deep frying pan with olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough then place 3-4 balls inside making sure to leave some room for each one to cook. Cook each side until golden brown. Remove from heat and serve with tzatziki dip and lemon wedges.
- You can add carrots to the mixture to make these colorful!
- If your mixture is too wet, then add a bit more flour.
- Add any herbs you like as these fritters are really good with tons of herbs.
- You can serve this appetizer with beet dip! The flavors go really well together.