Hello readers! It’s been a long time since I have been blogging and sharing any new recipes. I have a good reason for that. Unfortunately my fur baby Cosmo passed away on March 30th. Losing Cosmo really impacted my own life in many ways. I was really grateful to have Cosmo in my life for 8 and a half years. I’m truly missing him every single day. Please check back on my blog for a special post about Cosmo. 💙
What’s cooking today? These hot summer days and nights I’m craving something light, and that doesn’t require the oven on. It’s watermelon season and that means watermelon mezes today. One famous Greek meze (appetizer) is watermelon feta. The combination of the sweet from the watermelon and the salty from the feta is a match made in heaven. You can string the watermelon squares & feta cubes on skewers and then serve with a sprig of basil or mint. If I’m making this for a special event I like to add a balsamic reduction but this time I used something very special. The secret ingredient I used is HAROUPI which is carob bean syrup. I absolutely love HAROUPI which is well known on the island of Crete. The largest island in Greece! My love for haroupi started about a few years back actually. I was walking into a bio aroma shop and tried the amazing haroupi. What does it taste like? You know the flavor of molasses well it has that sort of consistency but a tiny bit lighter with a chocolatey flavor. It’s really good and amazing in so many things.
Let’s get to the yummy appetizer! All you need is the following ingredients: watermelon, feta, basil or mint, haroupi, and skewers. If you can’t find haroupi then a thick balsamic will do. It’s simple to whip up and a perfect recipe to celebrate the 4th of July! Tag us if you make this and use hashtag #cookingwithkouzounaskitchen. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!!
Watermelon Feta Meze Skewers Recipe
- 3 cups of cubed watermelon
- 2 cups of feta cubes (make sure to purchase feta that comes in a block)
- Fresh sprigs of basil or mint
- Wooden skewers or toothpicks
- Haroupi sauce (to serve)
- Prepare the watermelon cubes. Make sure to remove the seeds. Prepare the feta cubes. I used feta that comes in a block.
- Start with the watermelon cubes, and skewer 1 for the base. Then skewer the feta cube, and repeat. Once the skewer is complete add a sprig of mint or basil to the top. If you don’t want the mezes to be too big, then you can use toothpicks.
- Drizzle with haroupi sauce to serve. You can add a sprinkle of cracked black pepper.