Lagana Bread~ Clean Monday Bread
Καθαρή Δευτέρα~ Clean Monday as we call it in our Greek culture. (Read more about Kathari Deftera here.)
Every year on Clean Monday, which is tomorrow February 19th we enjoy this delicious lagana~ λαγάνα bread. I made my first ever YouTube video years ago, which is on Lagana bread. 🙂 I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know if you have tried this recipe.
Lagana Bread Recipe
Jazz up your lagana bread with fresh herbs, or dip into olive oil and vinegar dressing. This bread is very similar to focaccia bread, which is one of my most favorite Italian breads.
- 3 packets of active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 7 cups of bread flour
- 2 1/4 cups of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 5 tablespoons of melted butter (Replace with olive oil if you want this vegan.)
- 1/3 cup of olive oil (Preferably Greek olive oil from Oleosophia)
- Sesame seeds
- Herbs such as thyme from Tradifresh will work wonders
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast, sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and warm water and mix. Let the mixture sit until you see bubbles. Approximately 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, and salt. Whisk to combine. Make a well in the center and add the melted butter. (You can use olive oil in replacement of butter.)
- Add the yeast mixture and mix up to 8 minutes. Making sure the dough is soft and pliable.
- Shape dough into a ball, and let rest into a lightly greased bowl covered. I let mine rest for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- When the dough has doubled, remove it from the bowl and knead it onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls. Roll out the lagana dough into a large oval shape. (See my video for more info.) Place Lagana on two lightly greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 1 hour. Lightly run your fingers through the dough making
- Using your fingers, poke down onto the lagana making indents.
- Brush with olive oil and sesame seeds. Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.