~Vasilopita Recipe~ Happy New Year (καλή χρονιά σε όλους)
καλή χρονιά σε όλους!!
Happy New Year to family and friends. I was at it again in the kitchen and I would love to share an important and special recipe with you all.
History Of Vasilopita
Vasilopita is a New Year’s Day bread or cake in Greece. The cake contains a hidden coin or trinket which gives good luck to the receiver.
On New Year’s Day families cut the Vasilopita to bless the house and bring good luck for the new year. At midnight the sign of the cross is etched with a knife across the cake. A piece of cake is sliced for each member of the family and any visitors present at the time, by order of age from eldest to the youngest.
- 1/2 pound butter
- 2 cups of organic sugar
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 orange & 1 mandarin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean- scraped
- Butter the bottom of a 12 x 3 inch round cake pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180 C.)
- Melt the butter and beat on medium high until the butter is light in color.
- Set butter aside.
- Beat eggs until light in color for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and continuing beating until light and fluffy.
- On medium low speed, add milk, vanilla bean, baking powder, orange zest, and mandarin zest.
- On low speed, add the flour and cooled butter.
- Be cautious to not over beat.
- Place a coin wrapped in wax paper in the bottom of the cake pan.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees (180 C.)
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and decorate with almonds, pistachios or walnuts.
Kali Orexi & Happy New Year!
Reblogged this on Kouzounas Kitchen and commented:
~Ring In The New Year With Vasilopita~
Happy new jear, Krystina. Very nice recipe for Vasilopita
Exharisto poly!! Kali Xronia!! 🙂
The cake looks wonderful and lovely to learn about the tradition, thank you 😍 have a great 2014 and a great day xx
Thank you Elaine. I used an interesting blend of ingredients. Blueberries, pistachios, and almonds. 🙂
Mmm love the recipe, cake looks so tasty!
Thank you! You should try it out. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year Krystina! Thank you very much for the virtual card I received this morning! 😀
HAPPY NEW YEAR FAE! You are very welcome. I hope the New Year brings you health, love, and happiness. 🙂
Oh goodie! Now you have a vasilopita recipe on your website! I’m so happy about that because I will share your links around.
I would also love to use one of your recipes for one of the other upcoming challenge… Maybe pastichio?
I’ll send you an email about it soon…
But for now? Let’s just enjoy the day!
Happy New Years!
Happy New Yr! Hopefully you like this one!! 🙂 Of course you can share any recipes. Tomorrow Im sharing your challenge.