Hi guys!! I am very happy that I mastered down a traditional Greek recipe, and turned it into a vegetarian dish. ( Due to fasting for over 3 half weeks now, I can not eat meat. So, I made this recipe into a vegetarian dish.) Don’t worry, I still made my family the traditional pastitsio. 🙂
Pastitsio Vegetarian Style ( Greek Lasagna)
- 5 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally, making sure the milk does not boil.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- With a wooden spoon, add the flour to the butter, and stir until the mixture forms a paste, roux.
- Using a wired whisk slowly add in the hot milk, to the roux.
- Remove sauce from heat, once it thickens.
- Add in the salt, and nutmeg.
- Cover the bechamel until ready to use.
(If you need more sauce, double the recipe.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 block of firm tofu ( cut into tiny pieces.)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1 1/2 cans of tomato sauce
- 1 bay leave
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 packet of penne pasta
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt & ground pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and tofu.
- Cook until the tofu is slightly brown.
- Add the wine and turn the heat up to medium high.
- Cook until the wine is evaporated.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, oregano,cinnamon, and seasonings.
- Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until most of the juice is evaporated.
- Add bread crumbs to the mix, and stir.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Sprinkle a dash of salt.
- Pour pasta into the pot, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse pasta under cold water.
- In a large bowl, add pasta, egg whites, and Parmesan cheese.
- Mix thoroughly together to incorporate the egg whites and cheese.
- Place half the pasta in a deep casserole dish.
- Next add the tofu mixture over the pasta.
- Add the rest of the pasta over the tofu mixture. Creating layers.
- Pour the bechamel sauce over the entire casserole.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
*I had my mom be the first to try this, and she said it is excellent!! Thank you mom for being the guinea pig, and I will be making this recipe more often. Hey for you vegetarians or the people who are fasting for Greek Easter, check this recipe out. Let me know your thoughts.
I have included the original pastitsio with meat at the link below.