The most simplest Greek soup recipe, that is definitely worth a try. Perfect for those who are fasting for Greek Easter.
Greek Chickpea Soup
- 16 oz dried chick peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- clove of 1 garlic
- 1 lemon
- Place chickpeas in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Let sit overnight, then drain water. Give the chickpeas a good rinse, to remove the soapy water.
- Place chickpeas into a large pan, along with the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until the onion and garlic become caramelized. Add the water, and vegetable broth and simmer.
- Add the spinach, tomatoes, and spices and cook for about 30 minutes. Once all the ingredients meld together, remove from heat. Place ingredients into a food processor and process until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Greek oregano, and lemon juice.
Check out the fun video below. 🙂