Simply The Best Melomakarona
Tis the season for delicious melomakarona.
It’s not a Greek Christmas in our house until you smell the amazing aroma of melomakarona cookies baking in the oven.
Since these are one of my all time favorite holiday cookies, I made a video for y’all. My boyfriend happened to snap some fun short videos of me making the cookies, and this is what I created. ❤️❤️
I hope you enjoy!! ✨✨✨✨
Melomakarona Recipe: Greek Honey Cookies
Serves: Between 45-60 depending on sizeIngredients:1 1/2 cups of Greek olive oil ( You can use any kind you want)
- 1/2 cup or butter (Room temperature)
- 1 cup of beer
- 1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- Orange zest (2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 6 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Place the oil, butter, beer, orange juice, cinnamon, orange zest, vanilla, and sugar into mixing bowl. Mix until blended.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts. Making sure to mix thoroughly so all ingredients combine. (Your dough should come together at this point.)
- Place dough on work surface and slightly knead just until the dough is smooth. (I like to call this part “the manicure” as the oil really helps heal your nails ha.)
- Roll each dough ball into hand shaping into an oval like shape. Check out my video for details.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- While cookies are baking make the honey syrup.
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of Greek honey
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts, reserve for serving
- Powdered cinnamon
- In a large pot over medium heat place all ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove syrup from heat, and pour hot syrup over the cookies. (Make sure you pour syrup over cookies once they come out of oven.)
- Sprinkle walnuts and cinnamon over the top of the cookies.
- These cookies will keep up to 1 month. You can store in air tight container.