Beet Root Raviolis (Handmade Dough)
I am sharing a YUMMY simple beetroot ravioli recipe. You do not need a pasta machine, although it will cut your time shorter in the kitchen if you want to use one. 🙂 Beets are probably one of the most beautiful vegetables in my opinion and it not only tastes amazing but the color is exquisite. I hope you enjoy making this recipe and would love to see you snap some photos! (Hashtag #kouzounaskitchen on social media so we can share your pics.)
Beet Ravioli- ( Handmade Dough)
- 2 large beets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1.5 cups of 00 flour (reserve more for dusting surface)
- 1.5 cups of semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt, finely ground
Feta Cheese Filling
- 1 cup of feta cheese
- 1 ounce of sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Brown Butter Mizithra Sauce
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup Mizithra cheese, grated
- chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- cracked black pepper
Beet ravioli dough method-
Let’s make a mess in the kitchen, shall we?!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare the beets. Wrap the beets in foil and place them onto a baking sheet. Place on middle rack in oven and roast for about an hour or until the beets are tender.
- Place beets onto a cooling rack and let cool before peeling the skins. Remove all the skins and cut beets in half and then place them in a food processor. Puree the beets until smooth.
- Once the beets are pureed add the eggs one at a time until the batter is smooth, then add the flours and salt. Process until the dough has formed then transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth in texture. (About 8 minutes.)
- Cover the dough and let it rest in a cool place for a few hours.
Cheese filling method-
- Prepare the filling while the dough is resting. In a large bowl combine the feta and ricotta. Mix to combine then add the parsley, lemon juice, and sun-dried tomatoes. You can add salt and pepper if you like for added taste. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator or until your dough is ready.
- On a very large surface prepare to roll out your ravioli dough. Now those who have a pasta machine feel free to use it! If you are looking for an amazing pasta machine check out Kitchenistic pasta machine! For those who do not have a pasta machine that is okay! Get a super-thin wooden rolling pin and some elbow grease lol. You want to cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Take one piece of dough and roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a long strip about 1/8 inch thick and about 5 inches width. Once you have achieved the length and size for your ravioli strips, then prepare to add the filling.
- Gently place about 1/2 a tablespoon of filling in the center of the strip. Be careful to leave about 1/2 inch of space between the filling and the edges of the ravioli dough. Otherwise, you will have a HUGE mess of filling and raviolis. You can probably get 4 or 5 raviolis out of each sheet depending on how much filling you put. (Make sure you leave about an inch of space between each filling.)
- Place another strip of the ravioli dough over the top of the ravioli with the filling. Gently form the top sheet over the ravioli. I like to lightly tap around the feeling to form the ravioli into a roundish shape and then I use a pasta roller with a curved edge to make the perfect square. Once you cut the raviolis out then take the back of a fork and seal the entire rim of the ravioli. This will ensure that the filling won’t leak out. Repeat with the other two strips and you should be able to get about 8 to 10 raviolis out of this recipe.
- Place ravioli onto a plate lined with parchment paper and set aside. Boil a pot of water with salt and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the water has boiled then drop 3-4 ravioli in at one time. Cook approximately between 5-7 minutes or when the ravioli floats to the top it is ready. Strain raviolis and place them onto a plate.
- The trick to my raviolis I find is sauteing them in a pan with butter. Add the butter to a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Once the butter has fully melted then add a few raviolis at a time and saute just until they are slightly crisp. This will add that nice brown butter flavor to your dish. Serve with fresh Mizithra, cracked black pepper, and fresh parsley.
Looks very appetizing koukla mou.Great recipe!! XOXO