Παξιμάδι- A Tasty Greek Biscotti
Hello friends!! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.
I had a fun recipe request recently on Instagram. Antonia this is dedicated to you dear.
For those who have no clue as to what a “paximadi” is well think of it as your Greek biscotti. They can either be sweet or savory and it’s twice-baked in the oven. I love paximadia because you can add so many unique flavors like orange, vanilla, mastiha, almond, lemon, ouzo, and the list goes on. So let’s get to the cooking, shall we?!
Παξιμάδι- A Tasty Greek Biscotti- New Version
My paximadi is flavored with ouzo and vanilla. I love the kick of crunch from the sesame and chia seeds.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour plus a bit for dusting
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of organic sugar
- 2 lemons (reserve the juice)
- 4 tablespoons of chia seed
- 4 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla flavoring
- 1 shot of ouzo
- 1/2 cup of light olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt finely grind
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, ouzo, lemon juice, and olive oil and whisk to combine.
- On parchment paper sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and use your hands to form a dough. Then add the sesame and chia seeds. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface and then form the dough in a log shape. Approximately 3 inches wide and 1 inch high. Place 2 loaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- With a pairing knife make 1/4 inch cuts in the dough about 1 inch apart from each other. Bake in the middle rack for about 30 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and cut through the 1/4 cuts you made and then place each cookie again on parchment paper and bake at 250 degrees until golden brown.
- Let the paximadia cool on a wired rack and then store in an airtight container. This freezes well too!
**Enjoy paximadia with a Greek coffee. 🙂
We would love to share your Kouzounas Kitchen food pictures! Please use #kouzounaskitchen on social media and we will share your CREATIONS!
Any recipe requests please contact chef Krystina!