Tasty Basil Lemonade Summer Drink Recipe (Pesto Basil Week)
Hello reader! I have a tasty summery drink for you today!
In California, we have been suffering from a massive heat wave for a few weeks now, and finally, it has cooled off just a tad.
In today’s post, I am sharing another yummy recipe to go with our “pesto basil week” fun! Such a simple recipe with only a handful of ingredients. Although this isn’t a “pesto” recipe I think this goes perfectly with our pesto week.
Tasty Basil Lemonade Summer Drink Recipe
- 1/2 cup of sweet basil
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 5 large lemons, reserved juice, and zest from 2 lemons
- A handful of ice cubes to serve and a few sprigs of basil
- Gather your beautiful basil and rinse thoroughly and set aside.
- Prepare your lemon juice and zest. Zest 2 lemons and set zest aside. Then squeeze the lemons and place the juice in a large glass container.
- In a mortar and pestle or cocktail shaker, muddle the zest, basil, and sugar together. Make sure to muddle until your mixture resembles almost a thick pesto-like mixture. The more you muddle the basil, the better so you release the oils. **Really quick- the word muddle means to gently mash herbs or fruit to release their juices and or oils.
- Pour the water inside the tall glass and then add the basil mixture. Mix to combine and chill for a couple of hours until the flavors combine.
- Serve with ice and basil sprig.
- You can use any variety of basil, but I prefer sweet, lemon, or Genovese varieties.
- If you don’t have basil, use mint, lavender, or rosemary. Whatever your garden has, use it.
- You can most certainly use your own simple syrup in replacement of the sugar.
- Make this an adult-friendly drink! Add your favorite alcohol of choice and enjoy!