Happy Fall~ Sfakiani Pita Recipe
Happy Fall to you! I hope this season brings you good health, happiness, and yummy foods. 🙂 On today’s post I’m sharing a Cretan comfort food called “Sfakiani Pita” which is a recipe featured in my second cookbook. This Cretan bread is stuffed with cheese and served with honey and sesame seeds. You can enjoy this treat any time of the day really. Recipe by our friends at Cretan Thyme Honey. Thank you Andreas Saviolakis for this yummy recipe.
Sfakiani Pita (by Andreas Saviolakis) – Σφακιανή Πίτα
This delicious, traditional breakfast pita comes straight from the village of Anopoli in Sfakia, Crete.
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup Cretan olive oil ¼ tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- 1 cup fresh anthotyro or mizithra cheese
- Mix all the ingredients—except the cheese—and shape into a small ball. Flatten and roll out the dough, using a long wooden rolling rod on a floured surface.
- Place the cheese in the middle and wrap it like a dumpling.
- Flatten again with your hands using the leftover flour from the previous flattening.
- Put some organic butter in a pan and heat it up.
- Pan-fry the pita on each side, for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish it off with “Sfakiano” raw thyme honey or any other kind of Cretan honey you can find. Kali Orexi!!
Looks so good!
Thank you love!!
Please try it koukla! So yummy!
Mmmm Cheese n honey, always sounds wrong, but I love it. Going to go check my copy of your book now!
Lol! Yes I so agree mate. How are you? Please try this recipe from the book. 🙂