I asked my friend Kevin to please, please give me his recipe for Rouladen, and he did. Enjoy this tasty German recipe below.
Rouladen Recipe By Kevin
- 1 1/2 pounds of flank steak
- ground mustard
- 1/2 pound of thick sliced bacon
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 jar of dill pickles sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 1 cube of beef bouillon
- Cast Iron Pot
- Prepare the flank steak by cutting into thin fillets, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread one side of each fillet with mustard. Then place the bacon, onions, and thin pickle slices on each filet and form the fillets into rolls. You can use string or toothpicks to hold the rolls together.
- Next, in a cast iron pot, rub the garlic all over the pot. Add melted butter to the pot, and place the rolls in the butter and saute until browned.
- Pour in 2 1.2 cups of water, wine, and add in the bouillon cube, and stir to dissolve. Season with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Simmer the rolls for about 2 half hours or until the rolls are tender.
- You can serve these yummy rolls with roasted red potatoes.