Feta Saganaki with Ouzo Honey Sauce
One of my most favorite Greek mezes in the world is saganaki! You can use many different Greek cheeses but some that are popular are; feta, halloumi, or Kefalotyri. When I worked and lived on the island of Skiathos in 2009 I created some of the desserts and appetizers for the Spanish restaurant. My inspiration for this dish comes from Skiathos! We made a delicious feta saganaki drenched in a semolina flour mix and then fried in olive oil and finished off with a ouzo honey sauce. One of the best Greek mezes that can be made in a matter of minutes.
Feta Saganaki with Ouzo Honey Sauce Recipe
- 4 slices (½ inch thick) Dodoni Feta/ Halloumi/ Graviera/ Kefalotyri
- ½ cup Semolina
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of Ouzo
- 2 teaspoons of Honey
- 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter
- Optional Sesame seeds
- Prepare the feta by cutting into ½ inch thick strips. Set aside on large plate.
- In a bowl mix together the semolina, flour, salt, pepper,cayenne pepper,thyme, and oregano.( Place 1 strip of feta into the bowl and coat the feta on both sides with flour mixture. (Repeat until all 4 strips are coated in flour.)
- Over medium heat add the olive oil to pan. Once pan is hot enough add feta strips and cook until golden brown one each side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare ouzo honey sauce. Place ouzo in pan over medium heat then add honey and butter.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken remove from heat and drizzle over saganaki.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon and thyme sprig.
Share the love of Kouzounas Kitchen on Instagram! Use #kouzounaskitchen and we will repost your photos!
** All rights reserved to Kouzounas Kitchen blog. If you want to repost this recipe you MUST contact Kouzounas Kitchen for further information. Thank you.
I am drooling looking at this deliciousness 😋💓
Thank you sweet friend. It was one of the most popular mezes on here. 🙂
You can’t keep a good cook down! Onward and upwards. Such great recipes keep people coming back for more. X
Thank you so much Yvonne!!
Miss you my friend and I am also missing Kritsa!! 🙂
Polla filakia stous duo.
Looks super tasty !
Thank you very much Marina mou!! Kalh evdomada to you. xo
I love Saganaki and this looks delicious koukla mou. Great recipe!! XO
Thank you Bella! I wish that crap didn’t happen with Magical Greece on FB but anyway. It is a lovely recipe and very unique. I hope you get to try it. xoxo
I was infuriated when I read that. I am so sorry about this bad experience koukla mou. Sadly, this happens too often!!!
Thank you Bella! Yes this happens too often unfortunately. Trying to get us all together to prevent this from happening.
Happy Friday sweets. Xo