~Saturday’s Food For Thought~
The weekend is here and so are carrots!! As I was making a carrot cake today I thought carrots would be great for today’s food for thought.
Saturday’s Food For Thought : Carrots!
- Carrots are considered one of the worlds healthiest foods.
- Carrots belong to the Umbelliferae family, in that same family are parsnips, fennel, parsley, anise, caraway, dill and cumin.
- We usually know carrots for their orange coloring, but did you know that carrots also come in different colors like purple, white, yellow, and even red colors?
The Benefits Of Carrots:
- In a recent study, participants who ate about 25 more grams of carrots then others had a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Carrots are known to have a high amount of antioxidants in them and a recent study shows that they have plenty of phytonutrients in them. In carrots, the most important polyacetylenes include falcarinol and falcarindiol. Several recent studies have identified these carrots having a effect of inhibiting the growth of colon cancer cells.
- Carrots are best known for their beta carotene , in which it provides a rich supply of antioxidants.
- Carrots can help our vision. In recent studies one of the phytonutrients found within the carrot seeds can help prevent cataracts.
Cooking With Carrots:
- The best way to cook your carrots are to steam them.
- To Healthy Steamed carrots, fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to a rapid boil. Slice carrots Â¼-inch thick and steam for 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl and add just a bit of olive oil to them and fresh lemon juice.
Why not spread the love for carrots!! Go grab some carrots at the store and enjoy some steam carrots with your meal tonight. 🙂 Not only do they taste good, but they are great for you too.