Greek Rice Pudding By Kouzounas Kitchen
Ριζόγαλο: Greek Rice Pudding
This version is on the healthier side. It gluten free & vegan approved. 🙂 Let’s get to the cooking shall we?!
- 1.2 cup Arborio Rice
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4.5 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla flavoring
- 1 lemon- reserve peel/ zest
- In a large pot, heat the milk and rice over medium heat. Stir constantly until it begins to come to a simmer.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, and lemon peel and zest.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and keep stirring. Cook for about 30 minutes until the rice is tender.
- It is important to keep an eye on this yummy mixture, as it can burn quickly on the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from heat, and discard the lemon peel, and cinnamon sticks.
- Add the sugar, and vanilla flavoring.
- Ladle the rice pudding into 5 large ramekins.
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight. Serve with a dash of cinnamon over the top. I like to jazz it up with some lemon zest as well.
***If you would like the traditional recipe please follow the link here. >>> http://kouzounaskitchen.com/2013/06/18/the-famous-rizogalo-recipe/
Super delicious and healthy…You outdid yourself again Krystina mou! Bravo 😀
Thank you Gina mou! I love this recipe, and it is soo simple to make. 🙂
What a lovely rice pudding you got there. I am from Iceland but living in Sweden and up here in all the Nordic country’s we eat rice pudding regularly. Its just so good. Our recipes are similar to yours with the cinnamon stick and the lime peal but we make it out of ordinary milk. I find it very interesting to make this with coconut milk and will definitely give it a try.
At Christmas we eat this rice pudding cold and we add to it whipped cream and bunch of fresh fruits. The we put one whole almond in the pudding and the one who gets it on his/her dish gets an extra gift of some kind. This is served as a desert and the name is Ris a la Malta.
Thanks for sharing your version of this great pudding !
Wow what a lovely story. I love the way you explained it in detail about finding the almond, and receiving an extra gift. This is very cool! You are all the way up in Sweden? I have been to the airport once, but never had the chance to actually see Sweden. I always wanted to go visit. Maybe one day? Please let me know if you try this out, and maybe we can exchange recipes? I would love to try yours. Btw we usually use whole milk, but this is a healthier version. 🙂 Have a beautiful evening.