Beet Soup Recipe
I am starting a new health & wellness week coming up in the first week of November. One of the biggest reasons I am starting this is the high demand for questions I received for superfood recipes. I think it is extremely important to incorporate healthy foods into our daily diet, especially to combat the flu season! To kickstart this health and wellness fun, I am sharing my favorite beet soup recipe.
Some benefits of beets:
Beets are high in folate, magnesium, nitrates, and antioxidants, beets juice, beet fiber, and beet greens have been shown to aid in disease prevention. Beets can help lower blood pressure and reduce cholesterol. Drinking a cup of raw beet juice a day can help reduce high blood pressure. (This is something I have given to my dad for his high blood pressure.) Of course, if you can’t stand the raw juice, then do try the soup.
Beet Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped white onion
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of fresh ginger peeled and cut
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder
- 4 large beets, peeled and halved (You can reserve the beet greens to add to the soup)
- 1 large potato peeled and cut in half
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- We do add the beet greens to our soup for extra flavor. If you would like to do this, please follow the step below.
- Coarsely chop the beet greens and cook in salted water for about 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain water and then add to the soup when ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh dill
- Fage yogurt or sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and curry.
- Add the broth, water, beets, and potato. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 25 minutes. Check to see if the beets and potato are tender and if so remove from heat.
- Add the mixture in 2 parts to a blender. Be careful that the mixture isn’t too hot, and blend until smooth. Continue with the other batch of puree and then pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Cook mixture over low heat to thicken. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- When ready to serve, garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprig of dill.
Nice and innovative 😋sounds delicious
Thank you dear! I hope you do have a go at it. xx
Looks good Kyrstina mou!!
Thank you lovely!! xx