I know most of you that are celebrating Thanksgiving are probably searching for recipes and ideas for this special day. So I decided to share with each of you my Thanksgiving menu and recipes.
Kouzounas Kitchen’s Thanksgiving Menu
(Our menu has a slight Mediterranean kick to it.)
Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
10 white mushrooms
1 green onion- diced
1 teaspoon of fresh basil diced
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of parsley- diced
1 clove garlic- minced
3 tablespoons of red wine
1 cup of boursin cheese- you can find this at Costco, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes
sea salt & ground pepper
parsley for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 180 Celsius.
Clean out the mushrooms and remove the core.
Keep the core of the mushrooms in a bowl, dice them and set aside. Once all the mushrooms are cleaned out set aside.
In a large saucepan, add the red wine and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Place the heat on medium, and add the mushrooms to the pan. Pan sear each mushroom until they soak up the wine flavor.
In a small bowl, add the garlic, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, green onion, and boursin.
Mix to combine.
Place each mushroom onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
Fill each mushroom with the cheese mixture, and bake in the oven just enough for the cheese to melt.
Top the mushrooms off with some fresh chopped parsley.
Red lentil Dip Recipe
1/2 pound of red lentils- rinsed thoroughly
1 can of low sodium chicken broth
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves- minced
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of fresh mint minced
1 tomato- seeded and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, chicken broth, water, and turmeric.
2. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat and simmer.
3. Stir occasionally until the lentils become tender, for about 25 minutes.
4. While the lentils are cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan.
5. Add in the garlic, and cumin to the butter.
6. Cook the mixture over low heat, for about 2 minutes.
7. Remove the lentils from the heat, and stir in the garlic mixture, tomato, mint, and seasonings.
You can sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese on the top.
Main/ Side Dishes
Baked Shredded Carrot Recipe
3 cups of coarsely shredded carrots
1/3 cup of coarse chopped pecans
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of orange juice
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
dash of sea salt
dash of ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or 180 Celsius.
Prepare the casserole pan with a bit of cooking spray.
Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl, and place in the casserole dish.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
1 1/2 cups panko
9 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, small dice
2 pounds green beans prepared
freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces of cremini mushrooms stems trimmed and cut into small pieces
1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
4 cups of milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of white wine
1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees or 180 Celsius.
2. Place the panko in a large frying pan, and cook over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Place panko in a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of butter, and melt over medium heat.
5. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
6. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook until they are crisp and tender.
7. Drain the green beans in a colander, and rinse under cold water.
8. Set the green beans aside.
9. Remove the onions from the heat, and set aside 1/4 cup of onions.
10. Add in the toasted panko to the pan with the remaining onions, and season with salt and pepper.
11. Place the panko and onion mixture in a small bowl and set aside.
12. Add the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and melt over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally.
13. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the reserved onions. Sprinkle with flour, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat the vegetables.
14. Gradually whisk in the milk, and the salt, and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking until the mushroom mixture has thickened.
15. Transfer the mixture to a large pot and add in the green beans. Stir to combine. Taste to see if it needs salt or pepper.
16. Transfer this mix to a baking dish, and bake for about 10 minutes.
17. Add the panko crumbs to the top of the baking dish, and continue baking until the sides start to bubble. (About 15 minutes.)
18. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Fennel -Orange Salad With A Ginger Twist Recipe
1/4 baguette, finely sliced
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. finely grated ginger
Ground pepper & sea salt
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 navel oranges
1 bunch of fennel trimmed and sliced
4 oz of mixed mediterranean salad
1 lemon juiced
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees or 200 Celsius. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and break into pieces.
Whisk together lemon, vinegar, lemon and orange zest, ginger, lemon juice,olive oil, and seasonings.
Using a sharp knife, cut all the peel off the oranges. Working over the dressing bowl, cut between the membranes to release the segments into bowl; discard the membranes.
Add in the fennel, the european greens and croutons. Toss and serve.
Sweet Dinner Rolls Recipe
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter, softened
Place water & milk in a microwave for about 1 minute and a half. Pour liquid into a mixer and add the sugar, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the yeast into the sugar mixture and make sure you whisk and whisk so it creates the foam and bubbles. (About ten minutes.)
While using your paddle attachment, mix on to low-speed and then add the salt, butter, and egg. Once you have mixed all your ingredients, add your flour in slowly. Change to the dough hook and knead the dough for about 7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth.
Remove the dough from the bowl, and you can lightly flour a working surface and cut the ball of dough into quarters and then roll each piece of dough into a ball. Cover your baking pan with plastic wrap and let the dough sit for about one hour in a warm place. You want them to rise. Then place your oven on 400 degrees and brush each ball of dough with butter. Place in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Choose the right size turkey for your festive dinner.
For a large party choose a turkey that is 15- 20 pounds.
For a smaller party choose a turkey that is 12 pounds or less.
Turkey With Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe-
2/3 cups of cider
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of grated orange zest plus juice
1/4 cup of unsalted butter
In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, brown sugar, and orange juice to a boil over high, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened.
Remove from heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and orange zest.
Brush prepared turkey with glaze, and repeat the glaze every 15 to 20 minutes.
*I am saving the best for last!! Dessert will be posted tonight, Wednesday November 27th. You don’t want to miss this yummy dessert!