I would like to introduce to you an extremely talented and creative pastry chef from Thessaloniki, Greece. I had the opportunity to ask Dimitris a few questions in regards to his passion in the kitchen, what his favorite desserts are, and much more. Please check out this wonderful interview I had with him, and enjoy.
Dimitris Banis- Pastry Chef- Thessaloniki, Greece
1. How long have you been a Pastry Chef?
I have been a pastry chef since 1998.
2. What school did you attend?
I completed two pastry schools and gained diplomas from both of them . The first one was the College of tourism professions Heraklion, Greece (diploma in pastry and bakery arts ) and the other one is Ecole Nationale Superieure de la Patisserie, Yssingeaux, France (diploma in French pastry arts ) by Alain Ducasse and Yves Thuries.
3. What is your favorite pastries/pastry to make?
I love all desserts but i love doing tarts. One of my favorites is the Sicile (Chantilly Pistachio and framboise
Coulis Framboise, (Creme Pistachio.)
4. Who inspires you to become a pastry chef?
I got the kitchen virus from my parents who are both great cooks. My professional inspiration though was always Yves Thuries and his great creations.
5. What is your favorite quote?
“Give and take.”
6. What can you tell to the new pastry chefs out there? Anything to inspire them?
If they really want to follow this path they should stop watching all these TV shows. They have to be very patient and very careful especially in their first years of working as pastry chefs. It’s not the reality of a professional kitchen. There is a lot of hard work. The kitchen is a place with a lot of stress but on the other hand with a lot of passion too. And as we all know sometimes our passion can be extreme.
7. If you had one recipe to share, what would it be and why?
I would have to say a traditional eclair recipe, because there many different combinations and decorations you can do with the choux pastry.
8. Where are you currently working?
Currently i am the Pastry Chef at the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia.
9. Do you have a personal website you can share for the viewers?
I do not have one currently. I am planning to do one though very soon, and i will let you know.
10. Anything you would like to say to our viewers?
I would like to say that food is passion, family, love, a need is Everything . It’s in our everyday life, keep on cooking and trying new flavors. Don’t be stubborn with new flavors in your pallet. Try the most you can. Try to cook as well with friends, with your loved ones it’s great fun.
* Thank you very much to Dimitris for joining Kouzounas Kitchen & for the lovely interview. I really enjoyed your lovely pictures, and they are mouth watering. I already want to get into my kitchen and make eclairs. 🙂 Keep up your passion Dimitris, and I hope to see you one day with a lovely bakery or restaurant of some sort. Maybe join Kouzounas Kitchen one day?!
For those who live in Melbourne, go check out Dimitris beautiful pastries at Etihad Stadium.
Questions or Comments below? What did you think of this interview? Is your mouth watering as well…. 🙂