Happy First Day Of Fall!! ~Apple Pie Recipe By Kouzounas Kitchen~
Yes, Fall is here and that means cooler weather to look forward to. I live in Northern California, and we had a very hot Summer, that seem to go on forever and ever. I do love Summer, but it was time for us to enjoy some pumpkin spiced lattes, and fresh apple pie. Shall we get to the recipe?!
This recipe was adapted from my great grandmother, and I mixed in some of my own ingredients to make it a fusion apple pie recipe. (Wonderful flaky pie crust, with a flavorful apple pie filling.)
Kouzounas Kitchen Apple Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Chill Time: 1 Hour
- 1 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Whisk together, and then cut in butter, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water, and mix until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for an hour, or until ready to use. (Dough will keep up to 3 days.)
Apple Pie Filling
- 4 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter chilled
- 3 TB AP flour
- 3 TB Chocolate liquor
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- Pinch of pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Add all ingredients in a large bowl, until everything is mixed to combine. Make sure apples are coated with sugar mixture.
- Place oven temp on 425 degrees. Prepare your chilled dough. You can either make 1 large pie or 6 mini pies. If you are making mini pies, make sure to use your muffin pan, and grease the inside of the pan. For 1 large pie, gather your 9 inch pie pan, and roll out the dough making sure it is twice the size of your pan, as you will utilize the extra dough scraps for the lattice. Once your done is ready, roll the dough over the top of the pie pan, and let the dough fall over the edges. At this point I like to cut the excess, and set aside.
- Place the apple filling in the center of the pie pan. Making sure to level out the mixture. Next, roll out your excess dough, and make long strips, by using a pizza pie cutter. I like to make about 20 so I have 10 strips going vertical and 10 strips going horizontal. Once you have done that, your ready to bake it off. (Now, if you are a huge fan of crumb topping like me, then follow my crumb topping recipe above.)
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the apple pie is golden brown on top.
~Exciting announcement coming later this week!! Stay tuned in.~