I must say that Friday’s Menu is pretty awesome!!
Happy Friday to all my wonderful Word Press friends and viewers!!
If you are in need of a weekend menu, well check this one out!!
Friday Menu December 6th
Appetizer: Lemon & Garlic Bruschetta
Main: Avgolemeno Soup
(Greek chicken & lemon soup)
Dessert: Coconut Pudding
Lemon & Garlic Bruschetta Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- A loaf of rustic bread
- 2 garlic cloves- minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley chopped
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon, garlic, and seasonings in a small bowl.
- I heated up a mini grill we have, or you can use the oven.
- Grill the bread until it is golden brown on top.
- Add the marinade over the bread, and toast for another few minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Avgolemeno Soup (Greek chicken & lemon soup) Recipe
- 1 whole chicken, remove the excess fat.
- 12 cups water
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta, or rice – (I like both but orzo is one of my fav.)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- Juice of two lemons, strained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1 pinch of oregano
- 1 pinch of dill
- Add first eight ingredients to a big pot. Bring the water to a boil and then lower heat to medium low and cover for about an hour or an hour half.
- Remove the chicken and the vegetables to a bowl and strain the broth out. Return the broth to the pot and boil.
- Add the rice or orzo to the pot and UN cover for about 10 minutes. Until the rice or orzo is soft. While the rice is cooking, start to prepare the sauce.
- Using a whisk beat the eggs until frothy. Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice. I like to go crazy with lemon so I tend to add a bit more. Continue to whisk.
- When the rice is ready, turn off the heat. Ladle about 2 cups of the broth into a small bowl. This is the tricky part so make sure you do this slowly. * Slowly add in the hot broth to your lemon- egg mixture while continuing to whisk. I like to do this pretty fast so the egg doesn’t curdle into the broth but if it is your first time, then please just do it slowly so that you take caution to not burn yourself.
- Stir the egg- lemon mixture into the pot. Heat over Very low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- I like to add a sprig of parsley or even a little bit of basil or dill on top.
Coconut Pudding Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin
- 1 3/8 cup of boiling water
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- Prepare a 1 quart mold, and grease it.
- In a bowl, dissolve the gelatin in boiling water.
- Stir in the evaporated milk, sugar, coconut extract, and vanilla extract.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- In a mixer, whip the egg whites until fluffy.
- When the gelatin has cooled, place the bowl of gelatin in a ice bath.
- When the mixture begins to set, fold the egg whites into it.
- Spread the mixture into prepare mold and refrigerate to set.
Happy Friday & Happy Weekend!
Like Kouzounas Kitchen On:
Follow On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KouzounasKitchen
Follow On Twitter: https://twitter.com/KouzounasKitche
Follow On Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/kouzounaskitche
Follow On Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KouzounasKitchen